The Union Academy Magnet Middle, IB MYP Guidance Department has a vital role in the development of the middle school student. The Guidance Department serves educational needs of students and assists in working through social and emotional problems. Our goal is to create an environment in which our students will grow and develop into their true potential both academically and socially.
How to Apply to Attend Union Academy
Please visit the Polk County School Board’s Office of Magnet, Choice and Federal Programs information site for more information on applying to attend Union Academy. Click here for more information.
Requesting a Parent Conference
Please contact Ms. Beth Row below to request a parent conference. Due to our teacher’s schedule, most conferences are held during our grade-level team’s planning periods.
Clinic and Medication Procedures
- UA follows the PCSB policy for dispensing of medication on campus.
- Students taking medication during school hours must have a doctor’s authorization. No medication of any kind will be dispensed from the office without a doctor’s authorization.
- Students will not carry medication on their person under any circumstances.
- Students may ask their teacher for a pass to the clinic or go to the clinic between classes.
Florida law requires all 7th grade students to show proof of the following immunizations before they may attend 7th grade classes: MMR (two shots), Tdap (one shot), Hepatitis B (three shots), Varicella (one shot) or signed proof of disease. Proof of listed immunizations must be provided to the school on the immunization record. For detailed county immunization requirements click here.
MYP Guidance Staff
Ms. Beth Row – Counselor
Ms. Claudia Pruneda – Guidance Secretary
Mrs. Deborah Milligan – Clinic Nurse
In the 2002 school year, the Florida State Legislature changed the educational grading scale for high school students. Polk County elected to make the change effective for each grade level to avoid confusion. The Polk County grading scale is as follows:
- A = 90 – 100%
- B = 80 – 89%
- C = 70 – 79%
- D = 60 – 69%
- F = 59% and below
Reminder: All middle school students MUST maintain at least a “D” average in all their academic classes and an overall GPA of 2.00 in order to be promoted.
These standards are also required in order to remain a student at Union Academy. Failure to maintain these standards will result in the student being returned to his or her zoned school.
- A middle grades student must pass all academic subjects plus earn an overall grade point average of a 2.0 to be promoted to the next grade level.
- Academic courses: English Language Arts, Reading, Math, Science, and Social Studies.
- A student must earn a 2.0 Grade Point Average to return to Union Academy.